DM Social assists social media users in understanding their legal rights and obligations when using social platforms. DM Social aims to educate students, learners, individuals and businesses regarding the proper usage of social media platforms, users rights, and the potential legal risks and liabilities that may occur due to incorrect usage.
DM Social believes in education and provides presentations and workshops to organisations including schools and, businesses on a wide range of topics including:
- Social Media Do’s and Don’ts
- Social Media and Job Searching (for Grade 11 and 12 students)
- Social Media and Your Children (for parents)
- The interaction between Privacy and Social Media Law
- How to deal with defamation, hate speech and cyberbullying on Social Media
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Ensuring a safe online presence (for teachers)
- Social Media in the Workplace and Employees conduct (for businesses)
- Protecting your online safety
During these sessions the following will be discussed:
- Viral real-life examples and case law
- Practical tips for your Social Media when job searching
- An overview of Social Media applications, i.e. WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, TikTok, Instagram, Google chat, online gaming, etc.
- The consequences of defamation, harassment, hate speech and cyberbullying on Social Media
- How to deal with photos (of your children, other people, teachers and yourself)
- Screenshots and context
- Sexting and child pornography
- The revenge porn phenomenon
- Criminal and civil liability
- ICT policies
- Interception of communications
- Protection of personal information
- Legal developments and the Cybercrimes Bill
For schools, we normally do separate sessions for the learners, teachers and parents. The presentations for the learners can be divided into the different age groups to ensure the content is relevant, i.e. Grade 4 & 5, Grade 7 – 10 and Grade 11 & 12. We always propose speaking to the learners first (without the pressure of teachers and parents listening in) as this enables us to give the parents and teachers a snapshot of exactly what the learners are getting up to and how to handle it.
Our talks to parents have been described as eye-opening and relevant and we encourage parents to understand all the social media applications their children use to ensure they know what the risks are, how to limit them and how to handle any issues that may arise.
We also speak to teachers to enable them to understand the changing dynamic in schools where they are forced to embrace a new culture of teaching and learning in the digital age, what their liability is towards learners and parents and what they should expect from the school, as well as what their rights are and how to handle difficult situations.
We remind employees that they have an inherent duty to act in good faith, be loyal, and have the best interests of their employer at heart at all times. The line between their personal and work lives has become blurred through the use of social media. It is important for employees to understand that their actions on social media could potentially attract liability at work.
Businesses need to educate their employees on social media policies and the consequences of breaching such policies.
If you would like to know more about DM Social, you can follow us on Instagram @dm_social_ for useful tips and content.
Let us know if you need any assistance or presentations for students, faculty, parents or employees.