We help to make sense of all the regulatory and taxation mechanisms that apply to charitable organisations in South Africa.
Legal status is often confused with tax status which is made worse by the different acronyms e.g. NPO versus PBO!
We have provided services in this area that include:
- Advice on the correct structure to use for the formation of a Non Profit Organisation e.g. a Non Profit Company , Charitable Trust or Voluntary Association;
- Drafting of the relevant founding documentation for the charitable organisation taking into account the BBBEE Act and Broad Based Ownership Schemes;
- Registration of Charitable Trusts, Voluntary Associations and Non Profit Companies;
- Assistance with the voluntary Non Profit Organisation (“NPO”) registration;
- Applications for tax exemption to the South African Revenue Service’s Tax Exemption Unit (“TEU”) in terms of the Income Tax Act of 1962;
- Drafting of amendments to founding documents and assisting with changes in board and trustee appointments.